Project 8: Brochure

Front

P8-TiffanyContreras-front

Inside

P8-TiffanyContreras-inside

Back

P8-TiffanyContreras-back

 

Video Showcase

 

Description: This is a one-fold brochure with a shorter front than back.

Process (Programs, Tools, Skills): I chose to do my brochure on the School of Musical Performance. I began this project by opening Adobe InDesign and setting my margins to .25 inches. Once I had all of my margins set up properly for trimming and for the inside and outside, I began entering my body copy and photos. I chose photos of microphones, a piano, a violin, guitars, and drums. These instruments are taught at the School of Musical Performance, so I chose to illustrate this on the inside of the brochure, accompanied with copy that explains what each instrumental course will include. Following, I took one of the piano photos and opened it in Adobe Photoshop. I used the “quick selection tool” to cut everything else out of the photo and only keep the piano. I followed this by refining the edges and increasing the level of smooth, feather, and contrast. This gave the photo a smoother, brighter, and more natural appeal. When I finished that I placed the new version of the piano into InDesign and applied text wrap around the piano. Following, I chose to do my title in Illustrator, as well. This allowed me to space out the words” School of” and “Performance,” and use a different font for “Musical” and make it larger than the rest of the text. This gives contrast to the title, showing the audience which word is most important and purposeful. When I finished all of that, I added the same photo from the back and front onto the side, where the “Vocals, piano, violin, guitars and drums” text is placed. I made the photo look like a continuation of the front.

Programs/Tools Used: Adobe InDesign; Adobe Illustrator; Adobe Photoshop

Message: My message is to tell my audience about this music school and all that it offers. It is a way for them to expand their knowledge that they’ve already obtained and improve it by taking courses taught by industry professionals.

Audience: People who want to learn more about music and performing.

Top Thing Learned: The top thing I learned is how to align everything in your text and within your margins so that the fold will work properly and accurately without mistakes.

Color scheme and color names: Big Split Complementary – Brick

Title Font Name & Category: New Berolina MT – Script; Baker Signet BT – combination of Oldstyle and Sans-serif

Copy Font Name & Category: Baker Signet BT – combination of Oldstyle and Sans-serif

Word Count of copy: 446 words

Thumbnails of Images used:

 

1. bassguitar 2. Guitars1   3. microphones

4. piano 5.  violin1  6. violin2

Sources (Links to images on original websites)

1. http://www.musicademy.com/2009/10/50-tips-worship-bass/

2. http://visitmississippi.org/mshomecoming/free-guitar-workshop/

3. http://jaypatrickvo.com/studio-equipment/

4.  http://becuo.com/steinway-black-grand-piano

5. http://www.sporcle.com/games/susagui/violin-concerto-by-opus-number

6. http://images3.alphacoders.com/115/115675.jpg

 

 

3 thoughts on “Project 8: Brochure

  1. Tiffany, Great job on your project!! I love the final design and brochure. It looks very professional and demonstrates the five focus principles. I like the alignment and the images you chose it shows a great contrast in your design. I enjoy the typography and think it goes well with your design. I think your design overall is incredible and looks like you understand how to use the adobe software. If you get the chance take a look at weston’s final project! He did a great Job. http://westoncolescomm.wordpress.com/

    Like

  2. Tiffany I really love your brochure! Looking through all the others for the class, yours was the first to make me really stop and look at it. I love the colors and the images you used. The placement and alignment of all the elements looks really good. I especially like the side bar where you placed a list of instruments they work with. One suggestion would be to add a little buffer space where you text wrapped your picture. It makes it a little difficult to read, but the wrapping is really good. Awesome job, take a look at mine if you want.

    https://cateicheira.wordpress.com/2014/12/06/project-8-brochure/

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s